The university conducted an extensive market survey prior to the designing of the program where critical gaps in hospitality and tourism industry and training were identified.
The BSc.HM program was designed to fill the gaps identified.
Why study the program
The program is intended to fill the forgoing identified gaps in hospitality skills development in the following areas:
- Front Office operation management.
- Housekeeping and laundry management.
- Food and beverage management.
- Banqueting services.
- Human resource management.
- Service Marketing.
- Financial and Accounting management
- Service Quality Management.
- Customer Relationship Management.
- Events management.
The course incorporates technology to meet the demands of the current job market and anticipated continued influence of electronic trade in conducting business in modern times.
Course Units of humanities like communication skills, Essential of Development, Business ethics and Laws are to address the issues of decision making.
- a) Have strong hospitality orientation and management knowledge in order to provide management knowledge, skills and abilities that will
- Enhance performance through effective training of key competencies and skills.
- Enable successful performance of manpower systems in hospitality organizations.
- Integrate all hospitality organization systems.
- Strategize service organization of levels and functions System.
- b) Exhibit strong ethical principles, good interpersonal communication values and virtues through:
- Appropriate hospitality managers codes of conduct.
- Effective and efficient trained team work.
- Excellent work assignment and demonstration.
- Being practically inquisitive and objective in achievements.
- c) Have strong analytic and critical thinking, knowledge, skills and abilities to:
- Solve management problems in hospitality organizations.
- Apply perspective and prospective hospitality and management concepts and information.
- Conceptualize and systemize people, principles, procedures, and data in hospitality enterprises.
- d) Design and implement hospitality management solutions that enhance organizational performance:
- Acquiring, processing, designing and storing hospitality information.
- Modeling hospitality organizational processes, defining and managing them.
- Helping staff in units, sections and departments to attain their goals in hospitality organization.
Upon completion of the prescribed course of study for Bachelor of Science in Hospitality Management the graduate will have acquired knowledge, skills and abilities to be able to:
- Equip students with strong management and operational skills in hospitality business.
- Have multi-faceted graduates with multi skilled and entrepreneurship abilities within hospitality and tourism industry.
- Train professionals who are practically oriented for the industry.
- Equip students with research and innovativeness for the hospitality industry.
The entry requirements set out below must be regarded as minimum requirements which in no way directly entitle an applicant to a place in the university. The following requirements must be fulfilled: –
- Two principal passes and a subsidiary in Arts /sciences related subjects/13 points
- A Diploma from a recognized University
- Additional entry requirements as may be specified by respective faculties, schools or departments
Exemptions and credit transfers
- A maximum of 15 units can be transferred for relevant units covered at degree or diploma level whose attainment is grade B or 60 marks and above.
- Evidence supporting the application should include certified academic transcripts and certificates
The following conditions should be met in seeking an exemption for a particular subject:
- The applicant shall pay a non-refundable credit transfer/exemption fee as determined by the School Board and approved by the Senate.
- A formal application on a prescribed form should be lodged with the Dean of School.
- The application should include justification and documentary support for the exemption to be considered.
- The applicant must have passed the final examinations for the year in which the subject to be exempted was examined.
- No exemption shall be granted for professional or clinical subjects.
The course takes duration of four academic years [8 semesters]