The Bachelor of Pharmacy (BPharm) degree program is well designed to provide graduates with core skills and the knowledge required for effective participation in the delivery of Pharmaceutical care and the ability to undertake research. The program covers the study of pharmaceutical chemistry, pharmacology, pharmacognosy, pharmaceutics and clinical pharmacy.
The B.Pharm program at Mount Kenya University, Rwanda is structured to produce a pharmacist that meets the World Health Organization (W.H.O) stipulated benchmark of the ‘seven star pharmacist’. The course therefore aims to produce graduates who possess the following seven qualities as advocated for by the W.H.O:
- A care-giver – The graduates are comfortable interacting with others and are able to offer health services of the highest quality.
- A decision-maker – Able to exercise appropriate, efficacious and cost effective use of resources.
- A communicator – As a critical interface between the physician and patient, the pharmacist must be knowledgeable and confident while interacting with other health professionals and the public.
- A leader –Leadership involves compassion and empathy as well as the ability to make decisions, communicate, and manage effectively. Leadership and management training is a unique component of the MKUR B.Pharm program.
- A manager – The pharmacist must effectively manage resources (human, physical and fiscal) and information. Management units in the MKUR B.Pharm program constitute almost 10% of the entire program.
- A life-long-learner – It is no longer possible to learn all one must learn in school in order to practice a career as a pharmacist. The School of Pharmacy at Mount Kenya University recognizes that the concepts, principles and commitment to life-long learning must begin while the future pharmacist is still attending pharmacy school.
- A teacher – The pharmacist has a responsibility to assist with the education and training of future generations of pharmacists. Participating as a teacher not only imparts knowledge to others, it offers an opportunity for the practitioner to gain new knowledge and to fine-tune existing skills. The program therefore encompasses a learner centered approach to training with class sessions dominated by student presentations and class discussions.Minimum Entry Requirements
- Rwanda National Examination Council high school (secondary education) certificate with at least three principal passes (two in Biology and Chemistry) and a principal pass in either , Mathematics or Physics with 30 and above points
- Any other qualification recognized by Senate of Mount Kenya University, and equivalent to a Rwanda National Examination Council high school (secondary education) certificate.
The course takes duration of five and a half academic years [eleven semesters]