Worldwide, many people continue to suffer from preventable communicable diseases such as diarrhea as a classical example. The need for capacity building in the field of Medical Laboratory Sciences has been compounded by the continued increase of medical hazards emanating from the rapid urbanization and industrialization due to modern technological advancement.
The Program aims at producing Medical Laboratory Scientists capable of diagnosing infections and responding effectively to health conditions that affect human health with a view to proposing possible solutions thereby enhancing good health and sustainable medical management.
The need for diagnosis and management of diseases in the human population calls for improving physical, biological, cultural and social environmental conditions.
The labor market demand for medical laboratory practitioners over the years has not been matched with the existing training opportunities in the country and the region at large, hence ineffectively responding to deteriorating medical conditions that affect human population and health.
The need for capacity building in the field of Medical Laboratory Sciences has been compounded by the continued increase population emanating from the rapid urbanization and industrialization due to modern technological advancement hence filling the existing gaps in Medical Laboratory Sciences training. The program intends to produce a medical laboratory scientist/practitioner who will be capable of integrating theory and practice in critically assessing, analyzing, diagnosis and managing health issues affecting the health of the individual and the community. The medical laboratory graduate will acquire the necessary knowledge and skills through lectures, tutorials, group discussion, practical, research and field work.
Objectives of the Program
The objectives of the program are to:
- Play an effective role in the development and expansion of opportunities for individuals wishing to continue their education in the health science disciplines
- To prepare students academically and professionally for a career in Medical Laboratory Sciences
- To produce high quality graduate capable of critical analysis, problem-solving, research and life-long learning.
- Conduct research in Medical Laboratory Sciences issues with a view to providing recommendations to solve health challenges
- Provide community service through consultation, advice, training, participation, moral and financial support to the community and other stakeholders.
- Generate and impart knowledge, skills and attitudes that pertain to effective recognition and response to health challenges.
- Train manpower that is adaptable to emerging and re-emerging health challenges.
- Enhance appropriate use of natural and human resources to promote good health and sustainable developmentWhy study the programThe program prepares students to be competent and professional medical laboratory science practitioners. At the end of the course, the graduates will have the mastery of all entry level competencies upon graduation that will ensure successful passing scores on national certification exams.Minimum Entry Requirements
- Rwanda National Examination Council high school (secondary education) certificate with at least two principal passes in Biology and Chemistry with a subsidiary pass either in Mathematics or Physics.
- Any other qualification recognized by Senate of Mount Kenya University, and equivalent to a Rwanda National Examination Council high school (secondary education) certificate.
- A diploma in a related field from a recognized institution of higher learning as per credit transfer/ exemption policy
The course takes duration of four academic years [eight semesters]