Bachelor of Communication and Mass Media is customized to provide opportunities to those individuals interested in developing careers in Journalism and mass communication. The program is designed to enable students to identify, probe, examine and act in response to tactical and strategic issues of concern to journalism and mass communication in a variety of practical contexts within local and international media.
The Bachelor of Arts in Mass Media and Communication BA (MMC) program was designed to fill the gaps in the technical development and training in the field of media and communication. They include:
- The need for diversification
- Opportunities enhanced by technological advances e.g. Analog to Digital transmission, Online journalism
- The need for more practical skills that help to meet market demands
- The need to train more on Investigative Journalism
- Others like the role of citizen journalism, peace journalism, role of journalism in environmental issues, parliamentary reporting.
Why study the program
The BA (MMC) program is designed to recognize that its graduates will; inter alia.
a) Have strong technical and analytical skills that will:
- Harness human resource systems in media & communication organizations towards successful organizational performance
- Form a foundation of media planning & production
- b) Design and implement media & communication solutions that enhance media organizational performance.
- Acquiring, processing, designing and producing media & communication information.
- Modeling and managing communication organizational processes in the media.
c) Exhibit strong ethical principles, values and virtues.
Media and communications have never before been considered as important as now. Their role is so vital that even the society in which we live in has been called ‘information’ or ‘network’ society to underline the importance of media and communications. The age of globalisation is marked by rapidly
developing communications technologies. The rapid growth in the information industry and digital communications increases the demand for professionals and heightens the shortage of educators and trainers in these fields. Hence the Bachelor of Arts in Mass Media and Communication BA (MMC) which intends to meet the competences, enhance innovativeness and creativity, and to address identified gaps in media & communication technical skills development in the following areas: –
- Print media.
- Electronic media.
- Public Relations
- Communication & advertising.
The course incorporates technology to meet the demands of the current job market and anticipated continued influence of digital age in the media & communication industry.
Minimum Entry Requirements
- Rwanda National Examination Council high school (secondary education) certificate with at least two principal passes, one in English and an Art related subject, and a subsidiary in any related Arts subjects with 13 points
- Any other qualification recognized by Senate of Mount Kenya University, and equivalent to a Rwanda National Examination Council high school (secondary education) certificate.
- A diploma in a related field from a recognized institution of higher learning as per credit transfer/ exemption policy
The course takes duration of four academic years [eight semesters]